Ask the Expert
Have a question?  Send it in!

Meet the Experts: Question and Answer
Back to Experts Main Page
Cheryl Mathieu, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Ask the Expert Geriatric Care Manager

February 2nd, 2008
My mom fell and broke her hip. She was living alone, but now needs more help. What do we do?

Talk to your mom and find out what her ideal scene is, and measure that against how to get her the best care and what can be afforded financially. If it is affordable, you can hire non-medical caregivers to help her in the home. Make sure you carefully background check potential workers in your home, or find a reliable agency that does that for you. If appropriate, the doctor can prescribe physical therapy in the home from a local home health agency. Another option is for her to move to an Assisted Living Facility, where she can get the help she needs.

Expert Questions and Answers  

Ask Your Own Question
I agree to the AgingPro Ask the Expert Disclaimer found here.
Advanced Search