Lesbian and Gay aging issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aging Pro Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Gay and Lesbian
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think more info. should be made available to the public on Lesbian and Gay aging topics? yes or no.or no opinion
Please explain your answer.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Do you strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree that more info should be available on LGBT issues.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

sharon raphael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Lesbian and Gay aging issues Reply with quote

My name is Sharon M. Raphael, Professor Emeritus of Sociology, teaching presently in the Cal. State University Dominguez Hills College of Health and Human Services. I run a Gerontolog program.
One of my major fields on interest is Lesbian and Gay aging. Actually, I am one of the pioneers in this area having started the National Assoc. for Lesbian and Gay Gerontologists back in the 70's which has now become LAIN (LGBT Aging Interest Network) which is part of the American Society on Aging (ASA). I am also the Research Gatekeeper for OLOC (Old Lesbians Organizing for Change). My spouse, Mina Meyer is on the Steering committee. OLOC is an organization with two goals in mind 1. in challenge ageism bot within and outside of the LGBT community 2. make old Lesbians visible and to reclaim the word OLD and make it a positive expression not a negative one. I would love to have a discussion group on AgingPro about Lesbian and Gay issues. It doesn't matter what your orientation is. I can answer questions or if you are also in the field and work with LGBT elders, you can share what your experiences are on the topic or bring up issues.

Recently I participated on an OLOC panel at the joint AARP/SAGE conference held in Brooklyn, NY. Had a great time. The President of AARP welcome everyone. It was a first time for a formal getting together on both interest groups with AARP the powerful force recognizing our work and looking ahead to future collaborations.

Sharon Raphael, Long Beach Ca.[/list] Very Happy
lovingaging

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Yes, Gay and Lesbian issues need more coverage! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this great subject. I was sorry to have to miss the AARP/SAGE conference, but look forward to the next one. Yes, I think we need more coverage of Gay and Lesbian issues around aging! Most people don't consider the discrimination this community may feel as they age, or realize that many might go back in the closet in assisted living facilities out of fear, etc. I have purposefully included Gay and Lesbian articles, housing information and resources on AgingPro just for this reason - to bring people's awareness to it, and assist older people who are gay/lesbian. Please bring more of this to light, and if you want to write articles for the site, please forward them to us! Thanks for contributing and keep up the great work.

Best,
Dr. Cheryl
TLCaregiver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know there were challenges unique to gay and lesbian communities when it comes to aging. I have a lesbian elder whom I care for and I have not noticed any unique needs. I care for her no differently than I do my other elder patients. The one I speak of specifically is partially independent in her old brittle age. She refuses to go to a nursing home but instead has a senior alert that allows her to call for emergency help if needed. She's a feisty one in a good way.
maxp

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aging issues can be really tough on gays. It's good to know, however, that there are some groups that help in helping elders from the LGBT community. One of them is the LGBT Aging Issues Network (LAIN). This organization works to raise awareness about the concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) elders and about the unique barriers they encounter in gaining access to housing, healthcare, long-term care and other needed services.
helsinkyh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a fantastic poll
christinalorence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many students facing problems with writing a perfect term paper. The term paper writing service guiding them to complete a best term paper.
whiterechard45

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice information. Thanks for sharing this post about gays and lesbians.
MarthaMoore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Great blog. Reply with quote

I am 100% at your back for this http://topassignmentwriters.com road safety forum you are having. It's a great way of instilling to the people the value of safety when on the road and thus, preventing any accidents from happening. In our country, the rate of minor road accidents seems to rise so this forum would be helpful especially if attended by people mainly using the road for transportation
kellythomsonusa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Gay and Lesbian Reply with quote

Nice information. Thanks for sharing this post about gays and lesbians.

This is Kelly from Califonia, USA. I am a professional health expert at saferxstore.com Surprised
Zapyaforpc1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Nice post Reply with quote

This is really a great one. Zapya for Mac,Zapya apk,Zapya for PC, Zapya free download,Zapya download
Zapya for ios, Zapya app
Abigail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I delight in the knowledge on your website. Many thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aging Pro Discussion Boards Forum Index -> Gay and Lesbian All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: